June30, 2017

Yesterday was one of the most difficult days I have experienced so far.  I left the motel a little after 5:15 a.m.  Sheryl had called the night before and said she and her sister Dorothy, would be flying out to spend a few days with me.  I had 95 miles to cover in order to stay on track.  I love riding during the morning hours.  Most towns are dead and you don't see any vehicles for miles.  Yesterday morning was no different.  

I soon realized that I would be facing a pretty stiff wind from the east.  By 8:00 a.m. The wind was in my face at 20 miles an hour.  At about 40 miles into the ride, which was 10:00 a.m., I stopped in the town of Great Bend, Kansas.  All morning long, the skies were ominous to the north.  When I stopped the attendant ask where I was riding to, and I told him to Lyons, and then to South Hutchison. He looked puzzled and asked me if I realize heavy rain is coming in the next hour? I thought all the rain was to the north of me, but sure enough, with the wind in my face and only able to ride 8 miles per hour, the skies opened up.  I looked for shelter and found it at a grain elevator.  

I sat there for an hour as it rained, discouraged like never before.  With the rain still coming down, I finally called Marion Bontrager and he came and picked me up and took me to my motel.  

So far I have covered 1840 miles on the trip.  

When Sheryl and her sister arrived, I told Sheryl that I think the wind and the weather have taken their toll on me and I might be done.  Yesterday I talked with my sons about what I was feeling.  They have been fabulous.  The one thing about stopping at this point that bothers me, is that I have always told my sons to never give up.  We talked about that and they offered some guiding words that have helped me in my decision.  

We went to bed saying we will not make a decision until  morning.  I woke up this morning to more wind and more rain.  Although neither Sheryl nor I slept well, I woke this morning at peace and grateful for the experience that I was able to have.  The decision seemed much easier this morning, it is time to go home.  I know some may be disappointed in this decision, I am comfortable with that.  

I have experienced so much, encountered so many interesting people, discovered so much about God's creation, discovered so much from friends who have ridden with me, discovered new things about the faith community that I am a part of, discovered new things about God, and finally discovered things about myself.  For that I am eternally grateful. The lessons I have learned will be with me forever.  

We plan to spend a few days in the area connecting with several of my extended family and several from Sheryl's extended family.  Sheryl and here sister will fly home on Tuesday the 4th, and I will drive home with my biking equipment that same day.  I look forward to a few days of recovery.  I also look forward to discovering more about the things that I value, things I value now more than ever; faith, family, friends, and my faith community.  

Grateful!

It is good to be alive!  

Comments

  1. Good for you - wise. Kansas wind has "killed" many a rider! May you find peace in your decision. (And if you decide to ride here in the East to D.C., call/email me - we could ride! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I read your entire blog Myron. I followed your trip on Google maps. I'm sorry I couldn't stay to meet you and Sheryl and Dorothy yesterday. Thanks for that link to your sister in law's book, I'm going to read it on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog