June 28, 2017

I left my hotel this morning at 5:30. It was still dark and the air was heavy.  During the night a tremendous thunderstorm went through the  area. The harvesters were not happy with the rain. They have been stuck in the area, unable to harvest wheat due to rain.  

When I started out, I had a 15 mile an hour south wind.  I was wondering if that would be the case all day.  At about 8:00 I ran into another biker heading west.  He used some colorful language to describe the wind and flatness of the terrain, and then headed west.  Laterin the day, I ran into another biker heading west.  He was from Greenville, South Carolina.  He too complained about the wind and the heat.  

As I made my way to the east, I soon realized that things were greening up.  I started to see corn feilds that I suspect rival any feilds back home.  I also saw a beautiful feild of soybeans.  Alfalfa hay feilds seemed more plentiful as well.  

About mid-day, that 15 mile an hour south wind turned to a southwest wind.  That was so helpful.  Now instead of going 12 and 13 miles an hour, I could consistantly go 15 to 16 miles and hour.  Over several hours at that spread you soon eliminate seat time.  Right now I need to eliminate seat time.  

During the middle of my ride I came across a sign that was embedded in a bank that said "Christ pilot me."  I want to try and claim that saying the rest of this trip.  I can find myself getting pretty anxious about meeting deadlines and trying to finish on time.  Every person that I have met on a bike refuses to have an end arrival time.  I think that is wise.  Perhaps I should give up my goal and rely more on Christ.  

Yesterday my brother John called saying he wanted to ride the last week with me.  I am so pleased by this.  Today Eric Yoder called and said he will meet me on July 6th, to ride with me for 4 or 5 days.  I am grateful for this news as well.  It should be a lot of fun to ride with Eric and John.  

Tomorrow I will ride to South Hutchison, Kansas.  I should cover 95 miles or so.  I will again need to contend with the wind and the heat.  

Sorry no pictures tonight.  Hopefully that changes tomorrow night.  

It is good to be alive!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017