June 27, 2017

Today was about the fight of will.  Although will won, it is badly bruised and battered.  

I left Eads at about 5:40 a.m.  I was on 287 for 3 miles and then 96 turned off and headed east.  96 in Colorado was a chip and sealed road.  That slows you down considerably, in comparison to a smooth asphalt road.  I rode on chip and seal for a little under 40 miles in Colorado. The road change to asphalt in Kansas.  In Kansas there was only a one foot shoulder.  Traffic was not heavy till about noon, when all the grain haulers started hauling the harvested wheat to the elevators.  Every town has a massive grain storage system.  

Throughout the day I met some interesting people.  About 25 miles in I came across an older couple riding their bikes together.  I stopped and talked with them.  They were from Netherland, and they were riding across the country.  This is the second time they have done this.  He was 75 and she was 74.  They had 90 day visas and hoped to be done in those 90 days.  They would ride around 50 miles a day.  They we amazing and inspirational.  

I also ran into another couple from Southern Californina who was riding across country.  I ran into three individuals who were riding solo.  

Today it was hot and it was windy!  We had a constant south wind of 20 miles and hour.  We had gusts of 30 mile an hour.  There were times when it was difficult to stay on the burm. All I could do for most of the day was 10 miles an hour.  Riding 104 miles today resulted in a sore butt and tired legs.  

80 miles in I stopped to see if I could get a motel in the town and they were all sold out.  I didn't think I had another 24 miles in me.  Just outside of that town I ran into an individual who was riding alone.  I stopped to talk to him.  He shouted out some colorful expletives and said "I can't do this."  I thought about saying amen to that. He set his bike to the side of the road and put his thumb out for a ride.  I felt bad for him.  

18 miles for Scott City, I saw a bakery.  I was doing well with water, but I knew something sweet would not hurt me, so I stopped at Haertland Bakery.  Once in the bakery and seeing what they had on the shelf, I wondered if the owner wasn't a Mennonite.  I bought water and a donut and we started talking small talk.  He asked where I was from and I told him.  He told me his cousin, Emily Litweiler graduated from Central.  I don't know Emily.  We soon discovered we were both Mennonites.  It is a small world.  

Tomorrow the wind is not supposed to be so strong.  I have 88 miles to go Rush Center.  

Tonight when I checked into my hotel, the lady at the counter said your room has been paid for.  I said I think there is a mastake and she assured me there was not.  Thank you to the person who took care of my room tonight!

I don't have good internet, so I am unable to upload any pictures.  

Bruise and battered, but still standing!

It is good to be alive!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017