June 8, 2017

Today has been a day of rest.  After 9 hours of sleep, I felt pretty good this morning! 
I spent the morning rearranging my panniers and reading.  At 10:00 A.M., Titus and Deb Dutcher came to the motel I am staying in.  We worked at getting our bikes ready for tomorrow and then went out to eat.  It was nice to see them again.

Throughout this journey, there have been several things that I can't get out of my mind.  Again, I am amazed at how kind people have been.  Over and over, people go out of their way to welcome me and to find ways to help me.  These are the very things that Jesus talk about; be kind to people, welcome the stranger.  What I have experienced inspires me to be kinder and more welcoming to all.  Kindness and hospitality are Kingdom pillars!

Many are amazed that I would try something like this.  Every day I find myself more and more amazed that I would try something like this!  This has been one of the more challenging things I have ever done. It has challenged me in many ways, including, physically, mentally, and spiritually.  In the past two weeks, I have learned a lot about myself.  I have discovered that although I am in introvert, I need people.  The past two weeks have also confirmed that I am more suited to the mid-west.  I love traveling through the mountains, but I don't think I could live in these remote parts.

Although this has been a challenge, it pales in comparison to what the kids at the Fortress of Hope have been going through.  Most kids who come to the FOH, a children’s protection center, in Managua, Nicaragua, have been deeply traumatized. Some suffer from abandonment, some from physical and sexual abuse. Life for these kids is so hard.

I think that is why so many have invested time, energy and money into the FOH, into these kids.  I am one of the board members of the FOH.  I can tell you that your investment has made a difference.  We have a compassionate staff that deeply cares for the children.

Their caring does not end when the kids age out of the system.  The staff stays connected with children who have aged out.  Their ongoing relationship has made it possible for some young adults to come back and offer encouragement to the children who call the FOH home.
We take care of all the children's needs at the FOH.  Education, clothing, food, psychological, social and spiritual needs, everything that you offer to your children, we attempt to offer to the children of the FOH.

One of the reasons I ride, is to bring light to the work in Nicaragua, and to ask you to pray and even consider investing in the FOH.  Currently, I would ask that you pray with us for a potential move.  We are leasing our current location and the land owner would like to sell the property.  We are not interested in buying the property.  The road forward is not as clear as we would like, yet we are confident that God will continue to see this work through.

Finally, every day I reflect on my niece Chloe, whose life was cut short in October of 2010.  She was riding bike when she was hit from behind.  I try not to dwell on this, yet it is always there.  Everyday I receive some form of communication from friends and family that they are praying for my safety. Every day, I pray for my own safety.

The other day as I was riding and praying for safety, Michael and I took a break, and as we were talking I looked up in the sky, which was bright blue, and I saw this small bright, fiery, formation in the clouds.  Some may say it was nothing.  I choose to believe that it was a symbolic reminder that the Spirit of God is with me, protecting me.



I have also become more aware, that the spirit of those who have left us, are closer than we think.  Death does not mean that life has ended, it has simply changed.  I believe that spirit of my father, Sheryl’s parents, her brother and Chloe are very much with me.

My sister in law, Cindy, helped confirm what I have been feeling for years, in her book, “Losing my Breath.”  In her book, she talks about the relationship she maintains with Chloe.  You can get a copy on Amazon on this link.

Tomorrow we leave Mountain Home, for Fairfield, Idaho.  We will gain over 2000 feet in elevation.  It should be an interesting ride.

Good to be alive! 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for remembering Chloe. She and Dad are surely with you. Ride on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017