June 13, 2017

It did not take long to fall a sleep last evening.  Because of the expense of the motels in Jackson, the three of us stayed in one room with two queen beds.  One can only imagine the noises that were created from all three of us sleeping deeply.  (No need to comment)

We woke at 6:30 to the sound of rain.  It has rained so much here, that they are experiencing flooding.  Titus rolled out of bed quite gingerly, and stated that he would not be riding today.  “My body tells me I can't ride.”  I muttered what might have seemed like a disappointing “okay,” yet on the inside my heart and head were rejoicing.  “Praise the Lord!”  We simply rolled over and went back to bed. 

We are both on a heavy dose of Advil trying to ward off the stiffness that seems to have over taken our bodies.

Jackson is completely different than I remember in the early nineties.  The commercialization of this small village is staggering.  Titus commented that Jackson is Berlin on steroids.  It may be on more than steroids. 

Jeremy Kauffman is joining me on Thursday to ride with me to Boulder, Colorado.  He will use Michael Stutzman’s bike, which Titus and Deb have been hauling on top of their vehicle.  Jeremy is flying in on Thursday.  I will be in Dubois, Wyoming, about 75 miles from the airport.  Jeremy will use Michael’s bike to ride out to me.  The administrative office at the airport is holding the bike for Jeremy.  Again, the folks from the airport were so helpful.  They inquired about my trip, wished me the best, and offered their blessing to me. 

While at the airport, I received a text from Leon Miller, from church, who suggested that we go to Moo’s Ice Cream Parlor in the square of Jackson, and partake of the Wild Huckleberry Ice Cream.  That was a huge success.  

Not biking today was the right decision.  Although we are feeling better this afternoon, the rain falls heavy at times and the wind is strong.  I think Titus was right that we need to pay attention to our bodies. 

This has been an unbelievable experience.  The things we have encountered, the sights we have seen, the people we have encountered, the long grinding rides where prayer empowered us, the deep sensing of God’s Spirit with us, all this and more have been life giving. 

At our hotel stay in Fairfield, Idaho, we spent some time with the couple who owned and ran the motel.  On the day we arrived, she baked fresh cookies for us, we talked about hobbies and just about life in general.  The office did not open till 10:00 A.M. the next morning, however we wanted to leave by 7:00 A.M.  When we were ready to leave, they came out to say goodbye.  He asked what we have learned so far on the trip, and Titus said, “This trip has restored my faith in humanity.”  We watched as tears welled up and he choked back emotion.  I think he was as grateful for those words as we were for their kindness and hospitality. 


It really is good to alive!




Comments

  1. Myron, I just "found" your blog (thanks to Jodi and Eric Miller) and "caught up" to you! Love vicariously riding with you! (and still hope to join you as you near D.C.)

    I'm also heartened to hear that you are not doing 100 mile days as I recall you planning on back in February - the body is not meant for that kind of abuse! May God continue to surprise you and bring you joy!
    See you soon. (And if you have itinerary for PA - Atlantic, email me: I'd like to try to ride with you some of that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017