June 6, 2017

After receiving a text today from a former parishioner, I find it important to first and foremost clear something up.  My good friend Renee wondered if I contributed to the local economy in Huntington by purchasing something from the dispensary.  The only thing I purchased was a pack of Double Stuffed Oreos and a Granola Bar.  Renee I am shocked that you would entertain such a question!😉

It was fun to ride out of Oregon and into Idaho first thing this morning.  When we left our motel this morning we were expecting a short day.  Today may have been the most difficult day of the ride thus far.  After mile of riding we turned on to 95 south and within a mile or two we ran into a newly chip-and-sealed road.  You peddled for all you were worth and you only went 12 miles an hour, and your arms were stinging.  We had at least twenty miles of this ahead of us.

We decided to take another road that paralleled 95 and we were really enjoying it, when all of a sudden it turned into gravel and sand.  There were places where neither of us could ride.  A couple times I sunk so deep in the stuff that when I peddled my back tire simply spun.  We rode on that road for 7 miles.  We learned a big lesson today, don't take back roads unless you confirm they are paved!

The scenery today was great.  We were in farming country.  We went by one huge stockyard full of thousands of cattle.  The equipment they used to feed the cattle was massive.  Hay and wheat seem to be the cash crop to grow in this area.

Our ride to the hotel took us through the city of Nampa, a pretty big suburb of Boise.  People were not as courteous as we rode along.  It is pretty clear to both of us, city folk are not as gracious as county folk.  When we arrived at the hotel there was a 3-inch sidewalk that I needed to ride up on.   I was thinking I could pop a wheelie and bring my front tire over the lip; wrong!  I took a pretty good spill and got pretty banged up.  All will be well in the morning.

We rode a little over 55 miles today.  Tomorrow will be Michael’s last day with me.  It is supposed to be 95 degrees during the afternoon.  We hope to get an early start and try and beat some of the heat.


Spent… Yet good to be alive!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017