June 26, 2017



I spent last evening with John and Kathy Fox.  John is Pat Dunn's brother.  That was life giving!  They gave up their evening to come to the hotel and pick me up and take me out for dinner.  We had a wonderful conversation about their lives in the west.  John is a physician at a small hospital, in the town of Hugo, 15 miles south of Limon.  John told me the radious they cover is similar to one of the New England.  I think he said Connecticut.  Together, John and Kathy are making a difference in their community and the surrounding communities.  

I left this morning at 6:30.  287, the road that I rode on today, was a beautiful road.  In many ways it was similar to interstate 70, in the fact that is was smooth concrete and the shoulder was clean.  287 has primarily truck traffic on it.  287 is called the port to plains highway.  The road runs from Fort Worth and Amarillo, Texas, to north of Yellowstone.  


The terrain today's was rolling.  I had quite a few 200 to 300 feet climbs.  I was not expecting that.  I am in Eads, Colorado which is still at 4200 feet above sea level.  I saw very little farming ground.  I did see one area that had corn planted.  The interesting thing is that field covered miles.  In the east we talk about the size of farms based on acres.  In the west they talk about the size of farms based on sections. They don't know anything about acres.  There are 640 acres in a section.  I remember talking to someone in Oregon and they told me their family has over 10,000 acres.  I suspect farms around her are similar in size.  


Today I rode 85 miles.  All day I rode with a wind.  Most of the time it was pushing at my side.  However for the last 20 miles it was directly in my face.  Tomorrow I finally head east.  The forcast says their will be a 15 to 20 mile an hour wind from the south. I keep wondering where that west wind is at.  Tomorrow I have 104 miles to cover so it will be a long day. I plan on leaving pretty early, with the hope I can beat some of the wind and the heat.  Depending on when I finish I will see 90 degrees.  Tomorrow I will cross over into Kansas, as well as into another time zone.  I think I am making progress!

It is good to be alive!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017