June 25, 2017


I woke up this morning from a wonderful nights sleep.  I was out of the hotel by 6:30.  The first 24 miles were as peaceful as could possibly be.  In those 24 miles I met 7 cars.  I had the road to myself.  As was the case yesterday, I was surprised by the climbing I needed to do.  In fact, at one point I was riding in 6000 feet of elevation.  Currently, I am in Limon, Colorado and the elevation is around 5400.  The temperature stayed in the 60's all the time I was riding.  You can see wheat fields changing the further south you go.  You can also see that much of the ground is not suitable for farming.  

The scenery today never changed.  I am in the middle of wide open feilds with few trees.  As is said, the first 24 miles was really peaceful.  I road on route 40, which runs parallel to interstate 70.  However, 40 ended and joined interstate 70.  In the town of Agate, I stopped trying to figure out what to do.  Do I run back roads to Limon, or do I take the interstate.  My experience will Michael in Oregon on that gravel and sand road, soon reminded me that taking back roads in the middle of nowhere is not a good idea.  I took the interstate.  That was a good move.  The shoulder was smooth and had very little trash on it.  

I made it to Limon by 10:30.  Just 45 miles today.  The next town south, with a motel that is suitable to stay in, is around 80 miles from Limon.  I am looking forward to this evening when I will go out to eat with Patt Dunn's brother John, and his wife Nancy.  

I have for the most part lost track of the days on this journey.  Yet for some reason, I realized today was Sunday.  One of the things that has become so clear to me over the last four weeks, is how important the Body of Christ is to me.  I could not help but think of the faith community that I am a part of.  I miss them so much! 

Over the last number of weeks significant events have taken place within the community, that were I at home, I would no doubt be a part of.  Steve Troyer received a liver transplant.  Marcia Miller received a double lung transplant.  Karlen Sommer's mother passed away suddenly and unexpectedly.  Chad Reinford died suddenly and unexpectedly.  There has been the unspeakable pain of loss, and their has been unspeakable joy of a second opportunity in life.  

This morning at Berlin Mennonite Church, they joined together at the table for communion.  As I was riding I tried to visualize what was taking place.  I audibly sang the songs that are tied to communion.  I recited the words of institution.  After the words were spoken I ate a little from a bar I had, and drank a little gator aid.  Not the same as being their, none the less very meaningful!  Someone sent me a picture of the several members at the table.  The picture reminded me of how I miss Norman, Brenda and Kate... all. 

Today I road 45 miles.  Tomorrow I will head southeast to the town of Eads.  Eads is a round 80 miles from Limon.  It is there that I will again be riding on the Trans American Bycicle Route.  

I have tried to upload a few pictures, however the wifi is not strong enough.  Sorry.  Simply visualize grass feilds that extend for miles and miles.  

It is good to be alive.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017