We left our home for the airport at 4:00AM on Friday.  I arrived in Portland to the sight of our good friends, Sean and Stephanie Stephens.  They had driven over four hours to pick me up and take me to the coast.

It took nearly two hours to get my bike together and get everything all packed and ready to go. Sean and Stephanie, did well it helping me get ready.  Before leaving them, Sean offered a prayer for safety and blessing.  Riding away from them, realizing I had 3500 miles in front of me, I had a feeling inside of me like I have never had before.

It was nearly 80 degrees when I left the coast line.  I rode through amazing scenery.  At 8:00 PM, after having riden over 42 miles, I was met on the side of the road by Howie Hatfield's sister, Nora.  Howie is a friend from Berlin Mennonite Church.

Nora and her husband Rick offered wonderful hospitality in the way of conversation, a wonderful meal, and a great bed.  It was 11:00 p.m whenI turned in for the night.  Having been up for nearly 24 hours, sleep came pretty easy.

The next morning, Nora took me back to the spot she picked me up at.  The morning ride began with heavy fog and cool temperatures.   Within ten miles I was in full sun and starting to warm up.  By noon the temperature was 80 degrees and by 3:00 I saw 87.

The scenery was breathtaking.  There were moments where I simply stopped to take in what was in front of me.  Things changed a bit when I entered into Portland.  I have never ridden in such heavy traffic.  I spent over 20 miles on I-84.  I have never ridden on the interstate.

I wanted to go to Portland Mennonite this morning however that required more city riding.  I am not into doing that right away again.  I checked about a cab and that would have cost me $50.00 one way.  No thank you!  I will read and relax in my hotel room.

I look forward to another beautiful ride tomorrow through the gorge.  I plan to ride to Cascade Locks.  Tomorrow I will have two climbs of over 750 feet in ascent.  Should be fun.

Good to be alive!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017