May 31, 2017
Last night it rained pretty hard.  This morning it was cool and cloudy.  For the first fifteen miles I had a tail wind.  After that things settled down and it was pretty calm.

 People have been so helpful and kind.  Most people traveling the interstate move over to the passing lane to go by me.  However there is always that one! 

It is interesting riding on the far shoulder, six or seven feet from the white line, with cars and trucks flying by you at 70 mile and hour.  You simply can't think to much about it.  You do a lot of trusting that all will be okay.  But there is always that one.  I heard this semi coming closer to me, hitting the rumble strip now and then, and when he was right beside me, he blew the loudest horn I have ever heard.  For a while I though I might need to stop and change.  There is always one! 

Today I experienced a first on the trip.  Not just one flat tire, but two.  Both flats were caused by a really small wire that was stuck in my tire.  As I was changing the second tire, a state highway patrolman stopped to see if I needed help.  He was a generous soul who would not leave till I was on the way.

While changing my first tire I happened to look back, and there bigger than life, stood Mount Hood.  I had been riding for 30 miles or so, and had not taken the time to look back and see the mountain.  I very rarely look back in life.  I am a forward thinker.  My experience today reminded me that there are times where we need to look back and recognize people, experiences and God, and be encouraged.

The topography changed again today, in the fact that I am out of the mountains. Everything is flat here in Boardman.  You can see for miles.  I know that will change again in a day or two.  On Saturday Michael and I will climb “Cabbage Hill” taking us up to the high desert.  At that point our elevation will be nearly 5000 feet.  That will be an interesting climb.

I am looking forward to having Michael join me tomorrow.  He should get here sometime in the afternoon, just in time for a 6:00 tipoff.  Angie Yoder's parents are picking him up at the airport and bringing him out to me.  They are another symbol of generosity.

One of the regrets I have, is that I will not be able to watch the CAVS with my sons, Adam and Jarrod.  The three of us like basketball.  Last year I was in Mongolia when the CAVS played in the championship. This year I will be away again when they win it!  I suppose there is some assuming here, in light of them winning it!



Good to be alive! 

Comments

  1. Roger Amstutz at Orrville Cycling told me to watch for those little, almost invisible wires that come off of certain car and truck tires. I didn't. I had several flats caused by the same little wire. I began to run my fingers through the tire before I put the tube back in.

    It's great keeping up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Mount Hood. Sure is good you needed to look back!! I hope that you don't have too many flat tires. Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017