May 30, 2017

Today was a day of change.  The topography, as well as the scenery changed drastically.    After climbing for the first five miles I rode above the Columbia River for ten miles.  I soon realized that the trees were not as plentiful.  In fact by the end of the day I was unable to spot a tree.  I also rode out of what is known as the Columbia River Gorge.

For the last twenty miles, I rode along the Columbia River along interstate 84.  On the other side of the River, I watched as every twenty minutes is so, a long train would run along the waters edge and right up against the mountain.  Although the train was nearly a mile away, you could hear the train as the noise from it bounced of the rock formations that it ran beside.

At one point I was riding beside a barge that was being pushed by a tug boat.  I don't know for sure but is suspect the barge was being pushed east to a large elevator.

I had little human contact today, except for a man who appeared to be homeless, who yelled at me for speeding.  If I was speeding, it might have had something to do with the wind of 20 miles and hour that pushed me much of the day.  There were points in the ride where the road would switch back and I was riding into the wind.  Not fun!

Experiences like this help you learn something about yourself.  I have always known that I have an introverted bent.  However, this experience has taught me the importance of human interaction.  I may be introverted, but over the last few days it has taken little to figure out that I am a lonely introvert.  I suspect that sounds convoluted, but that is where I find myself.

I am looking forward to having Michael Stutzman join me on Thursday.  Michael has been a great friend and lot fun.

Tomorrow I will ride to Boardman, sixty miles to the east.  All of my riding will be on interstate 84. 

Good to be alive! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June30, 2017